Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The Sympathy of Christ

Recently I was in a tough situation where I had been hurt by another person. I was plagued with despair, confusion, hurt, and bitterness. So many times I thought, “No one understands the hurt and pain I feel. No one sympathizes with what I feel.” Every time I shared with someone how I had been hurt, I was left with a sick, empty feeling in my stomach. Even sympathy from friends didn’t bring me comfort. As I spent time studying and crying out to God, I came across this verse:

“Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.” Hebrews 4:14-16

Isn’t it amazing that Christ understands our struggles? This verse says that He is touched with the feeling of our infirmities. He was a human being who experienced the same things that we do: temptation, hunger, pain, cold, rejection. When He faced the deepest struggle of His life – His crucifixion – all of His disciples left Him. Even His Father rejected Him and He was left to face the wrath of God alone. He did all that for us! No one was there to give love and comfort when He needed it most. No one was there to sympathize with His suffering. And yet, when WE are going through our own struggles, He is there to love and comfort us. He understands because He was a human being just like us. But do you know what the most comforting thing of all is? He faced all those things without sinning. We cannot say that about ourselves. We sin daily. Even our best deeds are tainted with sinful motives. But when God looks at us, He sees Christ. From our perspective, we see our failure – our sinful past, and the sin that continues to plague us daily. But God looks at us and sees Christ’s perfect obedience. He sees Him facing the same temptations we do, and responding in holiness and righteousness. And that’s what He sees when He sees US in Christ!!! Because of that, we can come boldly to Him – without fear of rejection or abandonment, and without anxiety wondering if He will understand or care for us. When we are in a difficult situation, His sympathy is the only sympathy that matters because He is the only One that can give the mercy and grace that we so desperately need!

I’ve found that when I’m anxious, angry, or depressed, it’s helpful to ask myself, “What am I believing about God?” Usually when I am anxious, I am believing a lie. My deceitful heart is telling me that God doesn’t care or is unable to change my circumstances. Don’t let your feelings dictate what you believe about God because they lie! Our trust should be in what God’s Word says, not what our heart says. What does God’s Word say about YOUR current struggle? It says that Christ is touched by your difficulties. He sympathizes. He faced temptation without sin. And because His sinless life has been put to your account, you can come boldly to God, knowing that He hears and accepts you because of Christ! When you are feeling hurt because of lack of sympathy, fear of failure, or anxiety, remember that Christ knows, understands, and invites you to come boldly to God. He offers His free mercy and grace to help you! When you are anxious and dealing with fearful thoughts, ask yourself, “What am I believing about God?” If your beliefs are not biblical, repent of them, and go to God’s Word to see what IS true about God. If we can grasp what is true about God’s character, it goes a long way to dispel fear, anxiety, anger, and all those sinful feelings and thoughts.

"...Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen." Hebrews 13:20-21

No comments:

Post a Comment