Saturday, December 10, 2011

Forgiveness and the Courtroom of the Heart


“Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.” James 1:19-20
When compared with Christ’s example of godly anger, I’m afraid my own anger doesn’t “make the cut.” My anger is usually self-righteous and self-serving. Recently I was faced with some criticism that really stung. I felt like it was unjust and inaccurate, so I thought I was justified in getting “a little hot under the collar.” My first reaction was to try to explain my original actions, and when I realized that my accuser wasn’t interested in listening, I condemned my accuser to “death by silence.” I set myself up as investigator, prosecutor, witnesses, judge, jury, jailer, and hangman. I had all the bases covered, and I felt pretty good about meting out “justice” for my wrongful accusation. Then I started my studies for the week. I had to read four articles on anger, and I thought, “Well, this should be an easy week. I don’t have a problem there!” How deceitful and self-righteous my heart is! It was easy for me to see anger in the heart of my accuser, but I self-righteously held myself to a different standard. I could be “miffed” because I was the one that was wrongfully accused! I used a more subtle form of anger – silence – to coerce some sort of remorse from my accuser. That was easier to justify than harsh words and open hostility.

I fought a long battle with this scenario. I knew that I should have a Christ-like, gracious response to the situation, but honestly, I would rather justify my sinful anger by cloaking it and giving it a nicer name. When I finally asked myself the question, “What do I love instead of God?” the answer was clear. I was loving and serving my reputation, my pride, my self-righteousness, and other’s opinions before God. I was not seeking God’s glory. I was not seeking the good of His people. I was seeking ME, MY RIGHTS, MY REPUTATION! I am grateful that God patiently exposes my heart through the mirror of His Word. Not only does He reveal my sinful heart, but He gives HOPE: repentance, forgiveness, and the power to change by His grace!
“Hatred stirreth up strifes: but love covereth all sins.” Proverbs 10:12
“And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.” 1 Peter 4:8




No comments:

Post a Comment