Monday, February 20, 2012

Sovereignty, Grace, and Glory


“An encyclopedic, problem-solving approach to Scripture is totally inadequate for the true depth of our need.”-Paul David Tripp

The simple truth of this statement is astounding. I have been guilty of regarding my Bible as a self-help manual. The concordance has been my best friend, and I know the favorite passages for the common problems and needs. Forgiveness? Here’s a list of verses for that! Struggling with prayer? Here are some key verses on that topic! It’s true that the Bible does address a myriad of topics, which is very helpful. But the more I learn and grow, the more I realize how the gospel and the whole story of redemption relate to everyday life and situations. The theme of God’s sovereignty spoke sweet words of comfort to me recently when I was faced with false accusations. It told me that the Sovereign King of the universe has a purpose in suffering, and that He allows it for my good and His glory. The theme of His grace had something to say, too. It told me that I am as much of a sinner as my accuser, and told me to love and forgive as I have been forgiven. The theme of God’s glory was not silent on the matter either. It spoke of the holiness that Christ is forming in me – that others might see His image in me so that He would be glorified.I’m realizing that the gospel is not just about Christ dying on the cross, something that we learn about when we get saved, and there’s an end of it. It speaks to me daily of what I was (a sinner), what I am (in Christ), and what I will be (with Him in glory). These broad themes in Scripture speak to me NOW, in whatever I am facing. They give me comfort, hope, direction, purpose, identity. They tell me of a God that has a plan, a purpose, and the power to bring it about. The gospel was good news when God saved me from my sins. But it is just as applicable to me now as I walk through this sinful world! It orients me to my world and teaches me about the God that I put my trust in. He is a faithful God!

No comments:

Post a Comment